[ale] AOL sues Microsoft

Matt Shade mshade at threekay.com
Thu Jan 24 13:07:11 EST 2002

Nah, I didn't find it harsh.  But I dont' see myself so much as taking the
"easy way out" as much as the practical way.

At HP, we used to run EVERYTHING off MPE and HP-UX. No Windows apps at all.
That was great, and just about every tool we used was written in-house.
About 3 or 4 years ago, someone high up decided that Microsoft was the way
to go, and over the course of say a year, moved everyone off our UX
workstations onto intel based boxes running NT. We still had plenty of unix
apps, so we ran Reflection/X, but even those unix apps have been phased out
over time. Now, nearly everything we use is built for Windows. I was one of
the loudest voicest against this type of move, but unfortunately, I'm really
just a peon and upper management does really listen to those of us who
actually use the tools.

The internal applications written for us to use are all written for Windows.
I, however, write a lot of little tools for my teams to use, and those are
all written for Linux or UX. It'll never be enough to turn the tide around,
but at least I feel like I'm doing my part.

I also actually do like Windows, though. I can be so much more productive
running NT than trying to workaround using something else. It'd be really
slick to run VMWare, but that not terribly practical, and I just don't have
the money for it. Even if I did, I doubt I'd be able to use it effectively.
If there was a way I could run ALL my tools and apps on a Linux box, you
have to believe that I'd jump on it. If there was a way I could run them on
an HP3000, I'd kill for that! As it stands now, though, I have to use the
best tools for the job. That's why I have on my desk at work an NT, an
HP9000, an HP3000, and two linux machines. And at home, I have all my linux
and hpux machines networked and displaying on my Win2k monitor.

Call it the easy way out if you like, or even cowardice (where did that come
from?), but sometimes you even have to use things you would prefer not to
use just to get the job done.

And oh yeah....it burns me up that Microsoft IS the top dog and that the
whole world has succumbed to the Windows onslaught. I sometimes wonder how
much further we would be if Amiga had been smarter in the 80's, and they
were the ones who caught on and were on every desktop. Amiga had a cheaper
machine and an OS that could run rings around something like Win95, and this
was back in the 80's!

matt