[ale] ssh

ChangingLINKS.com ChangingLINKS.com at bigfoot.com
Thu Jan 24 12:51:29 EST 2002

<ChangingLINKS.com at bigfoot.com> wrote:
> > Is is possible to
> > 1. start a .sh script on computer1 with computer2
> Yes.  If you have network connectivity between the two.

Of course I have the connectivity, and I ssh everyday.

> > 2. turn off computer2 and the script stays running on computer1 and
> > displays output on the screen of computer1 (when pushing ctrl-alt-f1)
>
> Why would you want to turn off computer 2?  That's where you're
> telnetting/ssh'ing from, right?  Do you want to shutdown computer
> 1 from remote computer 2?

<flamesuit>I want to turn off computer 2 because it is in my bedroom, and for
some reason, I don't sleep as well with a running computer in the room.
Computer1 is in the living room, and will be running a process through the
night.  I do not want to leave the bedroom.</flamesuit>

Ultimately, I want to start Computer1 WOL let it boot up, start the process
on Computer1 with Computer2 using ssh, and then turn off Computer2.

> > Is it possible to
> > 1. ssh into computer1 from computer2 and see the screen of computer1 (the
> > ctrl-alt-f1 screen)
>
> ctl-alt-f1 is usually just the first virtual terminal.  If you're
> booting up standard output would be displayed here.

Really, I would like to see the entire screen from Computer1 no matter what
is on it - barring UT or Descent3 games whose graphics don't seem to go
across the LAN very well :).

> HTH!

Drew
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com