[ale] move?

Ken Nagorski kenn at refriedgeek.com
Wed Jan 23 12:34:55 EST 2002

Hi there,

yes there is a mv command however, you cannot move stuff across different
disks. lets say you have a mail spool and it got really big... You added a
new drive and you you mounted it on /mnt so you could move the contents of
/var to it cause you where going to reboot and mount this second drive as
/var instead of it being off the / partition. OK. This said, mv will fail
cause you can't mv across file systems. If this is the case tar will help

cd /var
tar cvfp - .|(cd /mnt; tar xvf -)

Now you have copied the contents of /var across a file system.

Thanks
Ken

> theres a copy command (cp) i know but is there a move
> command? its just a combination of cp and rm but ...
> is it there? or should i right a tiny bash script?

> be  sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

But I don't want to go among mad people,
Alice remarked.
Oh, you can't help that, said the Cat:
we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
How do you know I'm mad? said Alice.
You must be, said the Cat,
or you wouldn't have come here.