[ale] any linux gamers?

Michael Golden naugrimk at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 22 22:17:55 EST 2002

On Tue, 2002-01-22 at 20:06, Stephen Turner wrote:
> http://www.transgaming.com/ they are talking about how
> they are not WINE but a different group called WINEX.
> i was wondering has anyone tried them and if so is it
> better than wine performance wise?

I've not personally used them but I know about them. Their WineX
technology is based on Wine. Gavriel State, the leader of Transgaming,
was key in getting Corel's support for wine a while back. WineX is
basically wine with some DirectX stuff added, some proprietary copy
protection (to allow access to protected CD-ROMs and such), and other
patches such as getting InstallShield to work. They do contribute some
of their patches back to the main wine tree. One recent thread on the
wine-devel mailing list though was complaining about Transgaming's
development model because it makes people not want to develop the
equivalent patches for the main wine tree if they can just use
Transgaming's patch and so in that way it is harmful to wine.
Transgaming's business model is such that they intend to release their
code (except for the copy protection which they licensed) under the wine
license back into the main tree but until then most of it is under the
Aladin license. WineX is optimized for games and as such should perform
better on them than the main wine tree does. I would recommend
supporting them but then again I'm biased towards getting their code
into the main wine tree. ;)

Michael