[ale] lilo

Ken Kennedy kkennedy at kenzoid.com
Tue Jan 22 23:27:53 EST 2002

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 07:46:04PM -0800, Stephen Turner wrote:
> well i got a debian system goin. real sweet. having
> troubles with lilo. i seem to need some boot.b? when i
> got the new kernel and supposedly set it up it said i
> needed a program called mbr, well i apt-get it and it
> says im allready at the latest and greatest version.
> When i hit man mbr i get nothing. whats the diagnosis doc?

A good strategy on Debian when you're trying to figure out what's what
with a package is to list the files making up the package. You can do
this with dpkg -L package_name.

In this case (on my box):

kkennedy at roark:~$ dpkg -L mbr
/.
/usr
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/mbr
/usr/share/doc/mbr/README
/usr/share/doc/mbr/NEWS
/usr/share/doc/mbr/README-1st.Debian
/usr/share/doc/mbr/copyright
/usr/share/doc/mbr/AUTHORS
/usr/share/doc/mbr/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/mbr/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/man
/usr/share/man/man8
/usr/share/man/man8/install-mbr.8.gz
/sbin
/sbin/install-mbr

YMMV. I'd start with README-1st, and man install-mbr...

Ken