[ale] Partitions

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Jan 22 10:20:23 EST 2002

A friend emailed me a year or so ago to (torture me I think) inform me
of an "upgrade" to the data collection/storage system at Fermi lab near
Chicago.

The existing SGI system was augemented by an "additional 256 processors,
160 Gigs of RAM and 130 Terrabytes of disk space". This was IN ADDITION
to the existing monster.

I about fainted from the dehydration caused by the spontaneous <DROOL>
problem.

Then he emailed me back to tell me the engineers that put all this stuff
together, as a test !!!, ran a quake server on this beast. The
unofficial results were something like 1600x1280, 32 bit 220 frames per
second (maxed video card clock) and several hundred client nodes. The
network infrastructure (lots 'o fiber) was saturated. The SGI beast was
barely breaking a sweat.

I am applying for a job at Fermi lab :)