[ale] Partitions

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Jan 21 23:18:30 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-01-21 at 22:47, jeff hubbs wrote:

> Oh, maybe just a *little*.  I try to stick my swap partition in the
> middle range of cylinders to try to reduce "head fling."  For general
> desktop use, though, what's the hardest thing on drives?  Wouldn't it be
> app launching followed by swapping (if you do much swapping)?  What
> could be done partition-wise to speed up, oh, StarOffice's launching (he
> wonders aloud)?

Itanium box with 64G RAM would speed up that bloat hog! ('magine the
quake server that would make!)

Wish it didn't work so well most of the time. Might use Abiword more.
M$Office can actually OPEN a StarOffice saved doc format file.

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>

 This is a digitally signed message part