[ale] OT: corporate finance 101

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Mon Jan 21 21:43:37 EST 2002

One last example and I'll shut up.  :) maybe.

http://www.save-solaris-x86.org/

1. Management
   Management failed to see the problem of Linux kicking their a*s.
   They failed to see the potential for loss of revenue.

2.  Inovation
    Because of number 1, engineers did not develop new features.
    You still needed 3rd party software to get a journaling fs.

3.  Sales
    Everyone saw that linux was so much better they did not buy Solaris

4.  Decision
    Do you:
    A.  Invest in number 2 and 3 in order to sell more stuff
    B.  Forget about it and try to find other sources of revenue.

In a tight economy, B may be a safe choice.  You may be too behind to take A
and
may not have the money.  I venture to say in Sun's case it is both.

How long did SCO think they could sell a slow unix implementation for $1500
for
a 5 user license.  That may or may not come with a TCP/IP stack?  By them
time Sun saw the threat it might have been to late to offer it up free.
They were way behind as far as innovation goes.