[ale] AOL in talks to buy RedHat!!!

Bao C. Ha baoha at sensoria.com
Mon Jan 21 13:32:15 EST 2002

Hi James,

> If AOL aquires RedHat, it will be because they want a
> specific piece of
> RedHat. I would almost put money on the following:
> 1. RedHat Network technology
> 2. Cygwin
> 3. The embedded RedHat stuff is where I would put twice the $$ of the
> other 2 combined.

I would take exception of #3.  The Cygwin stuff includes
expertises in the tools chain: Gcc/glibc, which are used by
all Linux-based embedded development.  RedHat does have a
lot of competition on #3, but nobody can come close to #2.
In my mind, their core is #2 with #3 as just an extension
of Cygwin.

Other than that, rpm is sucky.  Go Debian!

Bao