[ale] Partitions

Leonard Thornton leonard at intelis-inc.net
Mon Jan 21 12:56:39 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-01-21 at 10:48, jeff hubbs wrote:

> This is a perfectly fine way to operate, albeit suboptimal (but by so
> little that it's just not going to matter).  When setting up a machine
> for home use, that's about all I do unless I'm dealing with multiple
> drives and I'm dealing with either a space-limitation or
> performance-improvement issue.

OK...let's take this a step further.  Unless you have multiple physical
drives to spread your filesystems out over, what advantage is there to
breaking it up at all?  There is no speed advantage as you are bound by
head movement on a single drive.  There may be advantage in that you can
limit disk space allocation and usage, but this adds administrative
overhead.  There would not be any advantage in terms of backup / restore
unlkess you are mirroring logical drives (which goes back to the single
vs multiple drives question).

Comments?

Leonard Thornton
Intelis, Inc