[ale] httpd error_log entry

Bob Slaughter rslau at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 21 09:14:06 EST 2002

> Every day at 4:02 a.m. I get the following entry in my httpd/error_log file:
>
> [notice] SIGHUP received. Attempting to restart
> [notice] Apached/1.3.22 (Unix) (Red-Hat/Linux) mod_ssl/2.8.5 OpenSSL/0.9.6
> DAV/1.0.2 PHP/4.0.4pl1 mod_perl/1.24_01 configured -- resumin gnormal
> operations
> [notice] suEXEC mechanism enable (wrapper: /usr/sbin/suexec)
> [notice] Accept mutex: sysvsem (Default: sysvsem)
>
> What is going on here? What does this log entry mean? It seems that the
> server is getting rebooted because I have SSL enabled. What is the logic
> behind doing this?

0400 is when most of the daily system maintenance crontab entries go off,
under Red hat/Mandrake. All that should be happening is a logfile rotation of
access_log and error_log, which requires a HUP'ing of the httpd to write to
new files. SSL has nothing to do with it, that's a general message from the
Apache daemon that it has been restarted. *If* I remember rightly, unless they
are in the middle of a transaction, external users shouldn't see anything, and
should not experience an interruption of service.

--
Bob Slaughter, rslau at mindspring.com     http://www.mindspring.net/~rslau/
North Georgia Modurail: http://www.mindspring.net/~rslau/ngm/