[ale] AOL in talks to buy RedHat!!!

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Jan 19 20:26:48 EST 2002

Michael Golden wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand how AOL messed up Netscape. I personally like
> Mozilla and its offspring better than Netscape 4.x. What did I miss?

Let's put it this way, AOL bought Netscape, and continued to use IE as
it's browser.

I started using Mozilla full time about a week ago.  Long ago I began
using Netscape to read email so that I could have a consistent interface
between home and work.  At the time, work desktop was Windows and my
email options were Outlook or Netscape.  Mozilla email tool has just now
become fast enough to be bearable.

So, I like Mozilla as well, but I believe that after AOL bought
Netscape, they put little if any effort into forwarding that product.
Mozilla is still virtually unknown to the common masses, unlike Netscape
which was the original browser for the masses.  Very few folks had ever
used Mosaic in comparison to Netscape.

My concern has been the growth of in usage of IE, verses other browsers.
  Just like anything else, once Microsoft get's into a market, they do
their best to eliminate the competition, through proprietary solutions.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

"...the system (Microsoft passport) carries significant risks to users that
are not made adequately clear in the technical documentation available."
- David P. Kormann and Aviel D. Rubin, AT&T Labs - Research
- http://www.avirubin.com/passport.html