[ale] ppp server again

Keith Hopkins hne at inetnow.net
Wed Jan 16 18:14:39 EST 2002

Geoffrey wrote:

> Keith Hopkins wrote:
>
>> Geoffrey wrote:
>>
>>> I'm still stuck on this ppp server stuff.  Although I've got debug
>>> turned on, all I'm getting in my log is:
>>>
>>> "Couldn't set tty to PPP discipline: Invalid argument"
>>>
>>> I've checked the ppp args and they are all valid.  Anyone have a clue
>>> here?
>>>

>> Your argument is invalid :-)  Tell us more, what args are you using?
>> post your config file et.al.
>

> Well, I've even attempted to remove all arguments to ppp and I still get
> this error.  Weird.  The options I'm using are:
>
> nodetach
> require-pap
> refuse-chap
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> asyncmap 0
> modem
> crtscts
> lock
> proxyarp
> debug
>

> All set in the /etc/ppp/options file.  I created an empty options file
> and I still get the same error message.
>
> The message is prefaced by the message:
>
> Jan 16 17:55:31 denali modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module tty-ldisc-3
>
> Which I can't find any documentation for at all.

How are you starting PPP?  (dip?)  I think that is where the error is coming from (not the config file).

The modprobe error is probably nothing to be worried about, but...

Looks like you should have these in your /etc/modules.conf
alias tty-ldisc-1  slip
alias tty-ldisc-3  ppp
alias tty-ldisc-5  mkiss

And, is ppp built as a module?????

Did you EVER have this running with your current kernel?  What kernel are you using?

alternatively... (from http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Kerneld/configuration.html)

Line disciplines (slip, cslip and ppp)

Line disciplines are requested with tty-ldisc-x, with x being usually 1 (for SLIP) or 3 (for PPP). Both of these are known by kerneld automatically.

Speaking of ppp, if you want kerneld to load the bsd_comp data compression module for ppp, then you must add the following two lines to your /etc/conf.modules:

alias tty-ldisc-3 bsd_comp
   alias ppp0 bsd_comp

Lost in Tokyo,
   Keith