[ale] An FYI for SYS/Network Admins (spawned by new linux box thread)

Leonard Thornton Leonard at Intelis-inc.net
Wed Jan 16 10:24:32 EST 2002

To add a disclaimer to this:  We no longer purchase ANY Compaq servers as
the failure rate of power supplies is running in the 50-60% range for the
DL-XXX rackmount systems we have purchased over the last
year.  Additionally, we pay extra for 4-hour service in our customer
sites.  The closest we have gotten so far is 24 hour.

We are only installing Dell systems now.

MHO....YMMV....

At 09:33 AM 1/16/2002 -0500, sangell at nan.net wrote:
>Just a little info I thought I would pass along. We have (my company that
>is) been buying systems for the last several months from compaqs factory
>outlet and have been thouroghly pleased with the merchandise we have
>recieved. I have loaded Redhat 6.2/7.1/7.2 on numerous stations with GREAT
>results along with NT and 2000 on a few as well and the prices are supurb!
>An example of what is there currently Proliant DL320 1U rack mount server
>PIII 800 with 128 ram for $699. Also, and this is the better part that a
>lot of people do not know about, if you have a Compaq rep, he/she can get a
>FULL list of all items from compaq. The items on the web are only a small
>sample of everything they have. The full list is huge and changes often! If
>you don't have a rep you might want to find one. We use Entree BTG located
>in Norcross, however; they have a bit higher markup than some. There may be
>a way to get the full list directly from compaq. I have not had time to
>research that as of yet.
>
>If you already knew about this I appologize if not hope it helps you in the
>future.
>
>\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
>\_    Steve Angell,  MCSE, CCNA           _/
>\_    MIS Operations Manager               _/
>\_    TSYS Debt Management             _/
>\_    Norcross, GA                                   _/
>\_    Phone 770-409-5570                    _/
>\_    Fax      770-416-1752                   _/
>\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
>

>---
>This message has been sent through the ALE general discussion list.
>sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

The difficult while you wait.....the impossible overnight.

Leonard Thornton
Intelis, Inc.
5960 Crooked Creek Rd
Suite 30
Norcross, GA  30092

Office: 770.825.0032
Fax:            770.825.0028
Cellular:       404.583.5402
Pager:          888.785.9188
Email:          Leonard at Intelis-Inc.net
http://www.intelis-inc.com
http://www.intelis-inc.net