[ale] new linux box

Jeb jeb_barger at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 16 00:27:08 EST 2002

You don't necessarily have to have the same clock speed, just this is a myth
(from what I understand, and I have also practice this theory).  Here is a
good little article about smp (http://2cpu.com/FAQ/2cpusmpfaq.htm)

"There is a myth that in order to run multiple CPU's, they need to be the
same stepping and cache size. This is not true. According to Intel, you must
have the same family of processor, and that's it. In fact, according to
Intel, you can even mix MHz! They say that if you clock the processors to
the clock speed of the slower CPU, you'll be fine. Mixing cache sizes is
also OK by Intel, as long as you're not mixing 1MB or higher cache chips.
You're best off if you have the same speed and cache processors, but if you
have to try an SMP system you can use whatever is available. "  The last
paragraph of the article.