[ale] Home Wiring (was Re: cat5)

rob hoppe hoppe at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 15 23:44:55 EST 2002

Geoffrey wrote:

> rob hoppe wrote:
>
> > You are welcome to call to discuss wiring.  1236 are the used pairs     12 equals
> > trans +- white-orange is 1 and orange-white is 2.  36 equals rec +- white-green
> > is 3 and green-white is 6
> >
> > white-orange, orange-white, white-green, blue-white, white-blue, green-white,
> > white-brown, brown-white
>
> Interesting.  The wire I purchased and the documentation I've found are
> as follows:
>
> orange/white, orange, green/white, blue, blue/white, green, brown/white,
> brown
>
>  From my days in telephone QA, orange/white described wire that was
> 'orange on white,' that is, the wire is mostly white with orange
> stripes.  white/orange would be wire that is mostly orange with white
> stripes on it.
>
> I guess my point is, you've indicated that all wires are two colored,
> whereas the docs I have and the wire I've purchased have solid colors.
> Also, it would appear that we've got wires swapped in the pairs,
> although I don't believe that would matter.
>
> --

u r correct about the colors.  sometimes u get wire that is other colors.  the book
goes to the white with orange stripe and then orange with white stripe.  This is part
of the bigger scheme of wiring for 625 pairs.  Blue is actually first then orange,
green, brown, slate, red, + + + +

someone can quote the words to remember this by!

--
_/  Rob Hoppe  (Atlanta)