[ale] Response to my own post on UDMA issues.

Michael Smith msmith at mikeandmel.com
Tue Jan 15 16:51:33 EST 2002

I just did a search on write verify and found this intersting blurb from
Maxtor...

Enabling Write Verify provides an additional level of data verification to
the already strong Error Correction Control (ECC) procedures implemented on
Maxtor hard drives. This feature should only be enabled for applications
that are writing extremely critical data to the hard drive.

from:

http://www.maxtor.com/products/diamondmax/techsupport/technicalprocedures/21
008.html

What I want to know is how the hard drive determines what is not critical
data?  When I swap out is this not critical?  OK, I have to admit that WD
does not do this so I have gained a new respect for WD.  These will
probably be my last Maxtor drives.... and maybe my last IDE's...

--
Michael Smith
msmith at mikeandmel.com