[ale] Acceptance of License discussion

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Tue Jan 15 15:27:29 EST 2002

Well, I'm not sure about getting the advertising budget, but nothing I'm
aware of prevents you (or me or anybody else with the desire) from writing
a 60 second spot, concievably shooting it with a camcorder, and at least
putting same on the web or peddling it to the media...

Although the idea of a Waco style assult is visually powerful, my vision
would start with the auditor standing in the doorway, introducing himself
as "Guido" from the firm "Dewey, Cheatem & Howe". I'm not sure how much
terrifying humor you could pack into 60 seconds, but a micro-morality play
could be built from M$'s efforts to bring shame to pirating
software. Certainly, visual clues should indicate the significant passage
of time (like a full day for a family office?).

FWIW, Guido needs some associates: say somebody from the tongs? Or western
outlaw type? Or perhaps a Mr. Hatfield calling on Mrs. McCoy??

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Tommie M. Jones wrote:

> Is anyone keeping up with the license discussion at politechbot.
> (http://www.politechbot.com)  They are discussing an article on freshmeat
> about giving search rights to software companies when a user accepts a
> license.  It is a good discussion and a lot of lawyers are giving their
> opinions.
>
> At times like this I wish there was a marketing budget associated with OS.
> I keep imagining a great TV commercial that looks like a Scene from Waco,
> Texas.
>

> http://www.atlantageek.com
> Get inside Atlanta's Tech scene
>

> ---