[ale] Just an FYI for those using UDMA hard drives and RH 7.2

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Jan 15 14:41:06 EST 2002

Yep, that's why scsi is much faster. It still has the always-on CRC, but
it is done in hardware. IDE does it in software. So each write includes
a call back up the bus to the cpu with a "please check this?" request.
The scsi write package includes the crc in the datagram (I think) so the
hardware on the drive does the readback/crc test. While the overall size
of IDE drives has far surpassed the scsi crowd, it hasn't come close to
the speed or long-term reliability of scsi.

Just look at the warranties for IDE drives. Most are 1 year, some are 3
years. SCSI drives are 5 years.

"But, you can buy 2 ide drives for the price of the same size scsi and
just replace it if it dies". Yes, but then I have to also replace what
was on the drive and that is the PIA part even with good backups.

Also most speed numbers for IDE are reads, not writes. Now we know why.