[ale] Just an FYI for those using UDMA hard drives and RH 7.2

Michael Smith msmith at mikeandmel.com
Tue Jan 15 12:08:57 EST 2002

I have been fighting for the last 2 weeks trying to get my 7.2 machine up
for more than 12 hours at a time without a kernel panic and I think I
finally got it working...

I determined that it was a UDMA issue after receiving {DriveStatusError
BadCRC} errors in the messages log file.  So I bought 2 new 80 pin, less
than 18 inch, ide cables after reading this blurb at
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/docs/lkml/#s13-3 .  I still received the
errors.  So I then moved the hard drives to the bottom and top bays to
hopefully reduce any crosstalk.  Still didn't work.  I then moved the power
cables as far away from the ide cables as possible.  Still didn't work.

So now I am thinking that either my controller or my hard drives are bad.
I go to the Maxtor site and download Powermax to test the drives.  I
perform exhaustive checks with both drives coming out without any errors. I
am now at a loss.

So I dig a little more on the Maxtor site about the write verify
functionality on the hard drive and find out, that for speed, the write
verify is turned off after 10 power cycles on the hard drive.  So I
downloaded this utility called WVSet from their site and turned the write
verify back on permanently and now my machine has been up for 24 hours w/o
a kernel panic....

Here's Maxtor's blurb on Write Verify:

"Write Verify" performs a Read of the data just written to the hard drive
and validates the data via the Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC), providing
additional assurance that the data written to the hard drive was written
correctly. When Write Verify is enabled, the WRITE performance of the drive
is affected as a read occurs for each write. When disabled WRITE
performance is improved as, a read is not performed for each write
When performing benchmark operations the "write verify" feature should be
disabled to insure valid comparisons to other products that do not offer
this capability in their product.

Just an FYI......

--
Michael Smith