[ale] OT: Weird Solaris stuf

Ken Nagorski kenn at refriedgeek.com
Tue Jan 15 09:24:37 EST 2002

Hi,

OK. I am totally confused. I have been left in charge of a couple of solaris
machines... I know this is not a linux question. Actually we are turning one
off and replacing it with a Linux machine.... However in the meantime we
need to move apache to the other Solaris box. I found apache and all that I
just can't seem to find out how it brings up the secondary interfaces, like
hme0:2 for instance. I thought I found it when I found this.

-----------From isp-solaris at isp-solaris.com------------------------
# Get the list of network interfaces to configure by breaking
# /etc/hostname.* into separate args by using "." as a shell separator
# character, then step through args and ifconfig every other arg.
# Set the netmask along the way using local "/etc/netmasks" file.
# This also sets up the streams plumbing for the interface.
# With an empty /etc/hostname.* file this only sets up the streams plumbing
# allowing the ifconfig auto-dhcp / auto-revarp command will attempt to
# set the address.

interface_names="`echo /etc/hostname.*[0-9] 2>/dev/null`"
if [ "$interface_names" != '/etc/hostname.*[0-9]' ]; then
        (
                echo 'configuring network interfaces:\c'
                IFS="${IFS}."
                set -- $interface_names
                while test $# -ge 2; do
                        shift
                        if [ "$1" != "xx0" ]; then
                                addr=`shcat /etc/hostname\.$1`
                                /sbin/ifconfig $1 plumb
                                if [ -n "$addr" ]; then
                                        /sbin/ifconfig $1 inet "$addr" \
                                           netmask + broadcast + -trailers u
p \
                                           2>&1 >/dev/null
                                fi
                                echo " $1\c"
                        fi
                        shift
                done
                echo '.'
        )
fi
---------------end /etc/rcS.d/S30rootusr.sh--------------------

Now. I thought yes, that is it but when I look at for instance
"/etc/hostname.hme0:2' All that is in there is a domain name. Does it do a
lookup on it or something. Uhg, now I know why I am a linux user...

Thanks
Ken

But I don't want to go among mad people,
Alice remarked.
Oh, you can't help that, said the Cat:
we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
How do you know I'm mad? said Alice.
You must be, said the Cat,
or you wouldn't have come here.