[ale] Home Wiring (was Re: cat5)

rob hoppe hoppe at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 14 23:07:21 EST 2002

Michael Kachline wrote:

> > This works, but you still have the problem of plugging in your phone on the
> > other end (which happens to be RJ-11).
> >
> > Since it is apparent that you are buying the cable to begin with, why not
> > buy 6 pair twisted instead of 4 pair twisted (CAT-5) and dual jack face
> > plates (RJ-11 and RJ-45).  This way you can have 2 phone lines AND the net
> > connection at all locations without having to do patch cable swapping.
>
>         Leonard,
>
>         Doh! I asked too late. The CAT-5 is already installed in the walls
> with two loose ends. Regardless though, most rooms have three CAT-5's run
> to a box, allowing for (hopefully) either a 2 phone, 1 net, or 1 phone 2
> net type of configuration. The ability to swap between these two
> configurations in an easy manner is what I am looking for.
>
>                                                 - Mike
>  Michael Kachline

You are welcome to call to discuss wiring.  1236 are the used pairs     12 equals
trans +- white-orange is 1 and orange-white is 2.  36 equals rec +- white-green
is 3 and green-white is 6

white-orange, orange-white, white-green, blue-white, white-blue, green-white,
white-brown, brown-white
This is the wiring standard for error free connections.  If you wire by color
blue, orange, green, brown pairs you would have cross talk or it won't carry the
distance.

Tip and Ring named for the tip and ring of the old phone patch cord used to
determine polarity.  They still do but the newer phones get around the problem,
but the data can't.

There are books on this.  Call me if I can make it easier.  Some of this is real
simple after a little trail and error.  I had a friend try to run the connectors
by the colors and didn't get 100ft.

All newer connectors take into account the spread between the pins of the
connectors!

--
_/  Rob Hoppe  (Atlanta)