[ale] Home Wiring (was Re: cat5)

Michael Kachline kachline at bass.compgen.com
Mon Jan 14 15:09:29 EST 2002

> How about this:
> Punch down all CAT5 to a 110 patch panel.
> Each port has a patch cable to reach the hub/switch.
>
> Hook up phone service to a 66 block, by punching down the lines w/o cutting
> them. Cut one end off a patch cable, and wire the white/blue,blue pairs to
> the tip and ring from the phone company.  Now, when you want to switch from
> network to telephone, unplug the patch cable to the hub at the panel, then
> plug in the phone patch cable.

	Jonathan,

	I believe that what you have suggested here is what I am looking
for. However, as I am green on the art of networking "nuts and bolts",
could you suggest a site which I could visit to learn more? In particular,
assuming that I go with the solution which you provided, I would need to
learn:

*) What is a 66 block, 110 patch panel? (Will these have enough ports for
my house? Are they what I want? How many ports on each of them? etc.)

*) What all would I need to purchase? (ie, patch panels, racks to mount
the panels on, crimping tools, aux power sources, etc.)

* Is there a "proper" or "better" way to splice the cat-5 into these
panels? If so, what is that method? Is there a good source of
documentation for doing so? Does such documentation normally come with the
panel being purchased?

* Do certain panels work only with certain faceplates? If so/not, why
(not)?

... Answers from the peanut gallery to these questions would be
appreciated too.

						Thanks,
							- Mike
 Michael Kachline