[ale] Software Installation

jeff hubbs hbbs at mediaone.net
Wed Jan 9 23:32:33 EST 2002

Lance Smith wrote:

> I have been to the Sun Site and downloaded what I think is the latest version
> of StarOffice.
>
> The file is :
> so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-en.bin
>
> What do I need to do now to install the application?
>
> Thanks Alot
>
> lance

That's the latest "stable" version (i.e., not beta).  IIRC, all you have
to do is execute it - not as root.  There's a different way to do it for
a multi-user installation, i.e., more than one person (account) on the
same box - you'll have to dig deeper into the docs.  With the normal
install, it puts everything in a directory called "office52" in your
home directory.

Speaking of StarOffice, I overheard some older fellow in Microseconds
today - he came in to buy a computer to replace his old one, which
stopped powering up (I didn't want to get thrown out of the place by
telling him he could just replace the PS and offering to put it in for
him!).  Anyway, he was hoping that some machine there for sale would
have spreadsheet SW on it (he and his wife were used to using MS Works)
and there wasn't, so I hipped him to SO and sent him on his way.

- Jeff