[ale] SAMBA.conf

Jay Fox g_j_fox at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 9 10:16:19 EST 2002

I am new to editing samba.conf.  From a windows box I can see the RedHat box
in net neighborhood.  I double click the icon, I get a username / password
box, but there doesn't seem to be any username that will grant me access to
the share.

I have setup a private directory as follows:
[SHARENAME]
    comment = share comment
    path = /var/www/html
    valid users    user1 user2
    public = no
    writable = yes
    printable = no

I have tried both to use root to gain access and my windows logon.  My
windows logon is specified in the valid users as shown above.  How does
Samba get the windows user info from my Windows PDC?

Thanks,
Jay