[ale] 3Com905B/C solution?

John Mills jmmills at telocity.com
Tue Jan 8 09:36:28 EST 2002

Dow/ALErs -

I used a two-step solution with a 'brain-dead' PCI SCSI card. In case it
helps you with the Ethernet card:

1) I noted the IRQ assigned to the card and displayed by the BIOS during
boot, and

2) I put a corresponding 'append = "sym53c416=0xff80,10"' in lilo.conf.

I expect I may have to change this if I add more PCI cards with IRQs (or
change motherboards), but currently the IRQ seems to stay at the same
vector all the time.

On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Dow Hurst wrote:

> How do I find out and set the right IRQ setting?  Can I force a module
> to take on a particular IRQ using LILO or modeprobe during bootup?  I
> guess the diagnostic tools could tell me the preset IRQ in the EEPROM,
> correct?
> Dow

> Leonard Thornton wrote:

> > I have seen your exact symptoms with other 3Com cards (specifically
> > 3c509).   The issue is that the IRQ settings are incorrect between the
> > module and the actual device.

Regards -
 John Mills