[ale] Adaptec 2930U vs 2940U for HP DAT24i

Gary MacKay gary at edisoninfo.com
Mon Jan 7 21:40:41 EST 2002

>From what I can read in the spec's, the Adaptec 2930U card should handle

the HP DAT24i just fine right? They are only about $80 instead of over
$200 for the 2940U. I build servers using the HP e800 series which work
fantastic for the money/market my clients are in. The only problem I
have is the TapeWare software from Yosemite, Inc. that comes with them
will not run on any kernel after 2.4.6 due to some problems with the
Symbios bios built into the HP Netservers. From research, it seams
advisable to put a seperate controller in for the tape drive anyway,
sooooo, what do you think, will the 2930 be fine?

- Gary