[ale] parallel processing

Zyman, Andy zymana at hra.nyc.gov
Fri Jan 4 16:35:03 EST 2002

Jeff,
Thank You  for reply.
Yes, if I specify "&" the job will go in the background. So having a couple
of background jobs is the answer.
 But the reason I was asking this is:
1. I don't know how many files the dir has, so I can't (?) specify
"filesA .... fileB shuld be copied by this job "
"filesC .... fileD should be copied by this job "

I was thinking about this situation - cp  ./dirA/*   ./dirB

The files are big enough to drive me nuts waiting when cp will be done (
each about 5Gb -50GB X 10-15 files in diff. dirs)
2. To copy files, I'm creating the file with locations of these files and
do
"while read"
loop to copy each one in a time ( which is not efficient :< )
I can't really apply "&" here because I need to check that all files are
copied before proceeding any farther - this is mean "control point" in this
operation...
So I was thinking about smth. else, but not background....

Thank You
 Andy