[ale] php/mysql install hell

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 7 05:03:08 EST 2002

Jim Philips wrote:

> The compile problems were solved by reverting to GCC 2.96. I did have
> 3.0 and the compile failed every time with that. I will try your
> suggestion with the symbolic links.

Actually, I'm sure Chris Ricker is correct about using
mysql=/usr. The segfaults are almost certainly unrelated,
probably having more to do with buggy or out-of-date
libraries or headers. You should be sure there are
no crufty old MySQL headers or libraries hanging
around (this can be a pain in the butt, but if you
ever had a different version of MySQL installed than
the one you want to use, you should eradicate all
traces of it). And of course be sure you have the
required versions of glibc and anything else MySQL
and PHP depend on; those dependencies ought to be
prominently mentioned in the source-code
documentation. (Yeah, I guess you knew all that... :-)

Cheers,

-- Joe
"I should like to close this book by sticking out any part of my neck
 which is not yet exposed, and making a few predictions about how the
 problem of quantum gravity will in the end be solved."
 --- Physicist Lee Smolin, "Three Roads to Quantum Gravity"