[ale] FW: [ale] OT: hardware parts vendor

Charles Shapiro cshapiro at nubridges.com
Wed Jan 2 09:30:43 EST 2002

Yep, I loved Delta, but then they moved uptown and jettisoned all the
reasons to go there. The radioshack.com store (once known as Tech
America) is way k00l. Alas, since they're sole supplier for some stuff
in the Atlanta SMSA they can run out of stock unexpectedly. Last time I
was up there someone had bought every RS232 DB9 M-to-M gender bender in
the place. They had even pried the display model off the front of the
bin. The sales clerk said that happened a lot & I should wait two weeks
and return.

I've got a list of interesting stores for Linux geeks at
http://tomshiro.org/cgi-bin/twiki/view/ALE/CheapAtlantaHardware . You
can add to it if you find more good places.

Obligatory Nostalgic Story:

Someone told me about buying memory chips in plastic tubes from
Peachtree Quality Salvage for $5 a tube, back when the chips were
selling for =~ $10 apiece. The salvage places used to buy unclaimed
packages from UPS by the pound; they seldom knew what they were selling.

-- CHS