[ale] kernel 2.4

Kevin Krumwiede krum at smyrnacable.net
Tue Jan 1 14:57:26 EST 2002

Try linuxdoc.org for all your tutorial needs.

The reason packaged distros distribute the headers separately is that you
might need them for building some other software, even if you are using
pre-built kernels.  The headers are included in the kernel source so you
don't need them if you are building a new kernel.  They are usually kept in
/usr/include/linux.  I read somewhere (either the kernel or glibc ML
archive, I think) that if you have kernel headers on your system, they
should be the ones glibc was built against, not necessarily the ones
belonging to the latest kernel.  So if you do have headers installed, don't
replace them.

Check man lilo.conf for instructions on adding the new kernel to your
system.  Don't replace the old kernel until you are sure the new one works.