[ale] gentoo like?

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Thu Feb 28 14:26:54 EST 2002

Stephen Turner wrote:
20020228160341.56713.qmail at web10105.mail.yahoo.com">
ok gentoo seemed sweet but i was unable to try it, im looking for a distro
(not sorceror or gentoo) that hopefully has a rpm or apt-get like manager
but its not required (just a serious + in my book ;) and compiles a kernel
and all packages from source during install on your system to optimize speed
and performance, im looking for optimized speed and performance! security
too, can never be secure enough! any suggestions? i dont know many distros
at all so some of you gurus that have tried or seen a lot of them please
let me know :) thanks in advance for all your help i always apreciate it!

  Do You Yahoo!?
  Yahoo! Greetings
 - Send FREE e-cards for every occasion!
I think that build-at-install is not a bad thing but I question the "speed/performance"
benefit - that is, is it really significant?  Things I've read - and please,
people, correct me if I'm wrong - indicate that those settings generally
(but not always) have you grabbing for only a very few percentage points.

Last night, after realizing that I was badly screwing up the editing of make.conf,
I got Gentoo to built last night.  On this machine, a 512MB AMD K6-2+/500,
it took over three hours to do the bootstrap build.  Good thing you have
a choice with Gentoo whether to build or install it pre-built.  One thing
that made this go slower than it might otherwise is that the primary hard
drive is s-s-s-s-low! (hdparm -Tt gives like 8.5MB/s - it only has one platter).

I'll tell you one thing that's nice about these build-type distros - if the
install completes, you can be pretty confident that your hardware is solid!
 Like I said before, this machine is based on an Azza Socket 7 board that
I got from MicroSeconds for $5!  I think I got the CPU off eBay for something
like $45.