[ale] wacom tablet and more

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Feb 28 11:01:41 EST 2002

Update here.  I think I had inquired to the list regarding usb wacom
tablet devices.  Anyway, I finally got mine working.  Pretty cool as I
can use the stylus or the mouse on the tablet as well as my existing ps2
mouse.

I fought this thing for the longest time, and just got it working
yesterday, and I'm not sure why.

I've decided this post is too long so here's a short summary:

1. modify xfree config, restart xserver via kdm logon window
	results: wacom doesn't work

2.  repeat 1 a couple of times,
	results: same

3. modify xfree config, adding debug option to wacom entries, restart
xserver via kdm, logon window
	results: xfree log file grows quickly with lots of info

4. logoff, explicitly kill kdm (killall kdm), remove wacom debug
options, restart kdm, login.
	results: success wacom stylus, mouse work

Full version:

Question that might help me.  When I would attempt to reconfigure my
xfree config file for the wacom stuff, I'd log out and select the button
on the kdm login window to restart the xserver. Now I would expect that
that would cause it to re-read the config file.  The thing is, it
started working only after I logged off, explicitly killed kdm (killall
kdm), and restarted it.

The whole problem with this thought process though is that the reason I
killed kdm to start with was because I had added some debug options to
my wacom entries in my xconfig file, and those entries where apparently
filling my xfree log very quickly.  So quickly, I felt the need to do
the kill on the xserver.

So, the point is, it appears to me that after I added the debug options
to the wacom entries and restarted the xserver via the kdm restart
server button that the server did in fact re-read the config file, hence
the verbose output to the xfree log.  YET, I had previously attempted
various changes to my xconfig file, followed by the same restart
procedure in order to get the wacom stuff working with no luck.  Once I
did finally get it working all I had done was removed the wacom debug
entries, kill the server and restart it.

Sorry for the verbosity, but I'd really like to understand what the hell
happened to get this thing working.  I'm afraid that once I reboot, it
may not be working again....
Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net