[ale] problems creating an RPM

Ken Nagorski kenn at pcintelligent.com
Wed Feb 27 23:37:07 EST 2002

Hi there,

OK - So my first attempt at building an RPM was a little ruff...

I have run into a few situations where customers wanted the latest gd libs,
(gd-2.0.1) and I kept having to rebuild php ( and anything else that needed
GD from srpms and then install them with the --nodeps option cause I was
building gd from source. I figured, OK - I can make and RPM and then I won't
have to use nodeps... and have kewl new geek powers)

So - I did it more or less, I had to hack a few things. I started with the
gd-1.8.4 SRPM and modified it from there, I figured no problem just changes
the names of the library version, 1.8 to 2.0. But I kept getting errors when
tried to link things. It would say that the link was already there and then
exit. I had to add a line above each 'ln -s' ( which is a TOTAL hack ) that
removed the link first. For the life of me I don't know what was creating
the link. If I just tried to take out the line I got errors as well. Does
anyone have any experience with this?

Also the new version seemed to not create the *.a files so rpm would fail. I
removed the line that said %{_libdir}/*.a under the "%files devel" macro. Is
that a problem, seems to me just dont have the static librarys installed...

OK - I don't pretend to know this. This is only my first attempt but I would
love to know what the deal was with ln problems and whatever.

Thanks
Ken