[ale] Repair Problems

John Mills jmmills at telocity.com
Mon Feb 25 16:01:04 EST 2002

Joe -

Thanks.

I verified the entry and fixed the link, and 'vi' came back to life.

I still have a couple of mysteries - well, three or four.

First, I fixed this once, a couple of weeks ago, then found it messed up
again (probably related to "Fourth", below).

Second, I still get the same complaint from
 "rpm -V glibc-2.2.4-19.3" about the messed-up link.

Third, should this link have been made on "rpm -U ..."? It was not.

Fourth, there is a script, '/usr/sbin/libc_post_upgrade' which is owned by
'glibc-2.2.4-19.3' which actually _creates_ this spurious link, and I
cannot find any package which owns up providing '/lib/lib.so'.

Any light on this darkness?

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, Joe Steele wrote:

> Your 'rpm -V' results are telling you that the link for
> /lib/ld-linux.so.2 has been altered.  You now have it linked to
> /lib/lib.so (which seems like a strange library name to me).
> Instead, it should be linked to /lib/ld-2.2.4.so.  This should fix it:
>
>    cd /lib
>    ln -s ld-2.2.4.so ld-linux.so.2
>
> If you type 'nm /lib/ld-2.2.4.so', you will see that it is the source
> for the symbol _dl_cpuclock_offset.

 - John Mills