[ale] Linksys DSL router (BEFSR11) How to allow access in

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sun Feb 24 22:14:18 EST 2002

John,
I must have misunderstood where the linksys was placed. I assumed it was
a router supplied by Earthlink to connect multiple machines to one DSL
line. My commercial SDSL line from Earthlink had a flowpoint router, 1
SDSL connection and 4 RJ-45 10bT sockets. It was also configurable by
several means. The reset button set it to the defaults as shipped by
Mindspring. Whether they were the defaults from the factory, I don't
know. It required nothing to plug in and use.

Of course I twiddled with every feature it had! Had to use that reset
button more than once.

On Sun, 2002-02-24 at 20:48, John Mills wrote:
> Hi -
>
> My note assumed you use the web interface from behind the router. I don't
> understand what you refer to with Earthlink setting router parameters, but
> my Linksys has a 'factory defaults' button you can hold when powering the
> unit, and that wipes your configuration setup back to stock. Did you mean
> the router/modem between the LAN and the DSL line? Telocity provided that
> and I don't expect to configure it. My Linksys is behind that.
>
> Also - Mr. Johnson: you must have a well-defined 'outside' IP in order to
> attempt your login, but I assume you do have either a static IP (which
> you've assigned to your router), or some dynamic arrangement that
> guarantees a resolvable IP when you try to login.
>
> On 24 Feb 2002, James P. Kinney III wrote:
>
> > Dig through the linksys site and get the docs on the cli interface. Also
> > the detailed user guide should have info on what is possible with this
> > device. Some "router" products  are really quite dumb and will by
> > default allow access to anything. Earthlink gets the routers first and
> > runs a config program to set them for the region they are being shipped
> > to. Be sure to document the original setup so you can fix it after you
> > break it ;)
>
>  - John Mills

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>

 This is a digitally signed message part