[ale] graphics programming suggestions

Cade Thacker linux at cade.org
Fri Feb 22 11:18:41 EST 2002

hello all,
I have decided to jump in way over my head and write a _simple_ game. A
paddle at the bottom of the screen, which bounces a ball. If the ball
misses the paddle, then game over. So my question is, what is the best way
to tackle this. I was looking at using SVGAlib. I would also like to use
C. Any suggestions are welcome. I am really in just exploring phase, of
how to do what. So is SVGAlib a good place to start? Should I look at X
programming. Should I look at writing directly to the framebuffer. Any
experiences/suggestions are very welcome.

If SVGAlib is the way to go, can anybody recommend/not recommend the book
by Jay Link. Linux: Graphics Programming with SVGAlib.

Thanks.

--cade