[ale] pop3 server

Greg runman at telocity.com
Thu Feb 21 14:11:04 EST 2002

Well, not to
start a religious war ... but here is something off of the <A
href="http://www.qmail.org">www.qmail.org site that is a comparison.
The only exception is Sendmail with OpenBSD - it has been audited line for line
for security and such, but has some features removed in order to make it more
secure.

A book could be written about this topic,
but it would be tedious reading. Here's a quick comparison of qmail with some of
the most common UNIX MTA's.

    MTA
    Maturity
    Security
    Features
    Performance
    Sendmailish
    Modular

    qmail
    medium
    high
    high
    high
    addons
    yes

    Sendmail
    high
    low
    high
    low
    no

    Postfix
    medium
    high
    medium
    high
    yes
    yes

    exim
    medium
    low
    high
    medium
    yes
    no

    Courier
    low
    medium
    high
    medium
    optional
    yes
Sendmailish means the MTA behaves like Sendmail in some ways
that would make a switch from Sendmail to the alternative MTA more
user-transparent, such as the use of .forward files,
/etc/aliases, and delivery to /var/spool/mail.
Cameron Laird has a web page comparing these and other free and commercial
MTA's at <A
href="http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/comp.mail.misc/MTA_comparison.html">http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/comp.mail.misc/MTA_comparison.html.
As far as making a web server a mail server, I
wouldn't, but I believe in single purpose servers and security above all
else.  I also have some 486's around here I got for near free that I
use.  However, those with a compelling reason might want to do it (like: I
only have 1 box and 1 only).
Greg Canter
<BLOCKQUOTE
style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid">
  -----Original
  Message-----From: Stephen Turner
  [mailto:artic_knight at yahoo.com]Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2002
  1:07 PMTo: ale at ale.orgSubject: [ale] pop3
  serveri want to make a pop3 server in the same box with
  apache, is this a bad idea? tips tricks? whats the best email server software?

  Do You Yahoo!?Yahoo!
  Sports - Coverage of the 2002 Olympic Games