[ale] hackers and thier methods

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Feb 19 17:58:54 EST 2002

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>No.  You are in control of your equipment.  Certain pieces of
equipment lend themselves to being better
secure
then others.  Not due to the nature of the services running on it.
But due to the nature of the envirnment on the
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>equipment.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
Some
embedde quipment has hackable protocols.  That is the nature of using any
software.  But just because
they
are hackable does not mean the hacker will be sucessful.  Personally I
do nt support the use distro + PC = firewall.
product that is built for this may be better suited.  It just scares me to
load RH 7.2 on a box and configure it as a firewall.
If I
get hacked all the tools are there for mischief.  If it is on n embedded
piece of equipment then maybe nothing is there of use if they

gain a
shell.  Who knows?
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Chris

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Stephen Turner
  [mailto:artic_knight at yahoo.com]Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2002
  5:43 PMTo: ale at ale.orgSubject: [ale] hackers and thier
  methodsso i remove all these packages from my box, should
  i bother removing vi? it offers no hacks as i see it but i suppose my
  REAL question is, can a linux hacker or someone hacking linux run programs
  outside of your box that will configure, alter the box? or do you have to add
  programs such as a text editor in order to alter text? and what stops them
  from installing or "planting" them on my server?

  Do You Yahoo!?Yahoo!
  Sports - Coverage of the 2002 Olympic Games