[ale] suggested kernel?

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Feb 19 15:00:48 EST 2002

Speaking of kernels, is there something I need to do in 2.4.17 to *keep* the
kernel from using my ramdisks?  It appears that at boot if
I use large amounts of memory.  I do around 48megs worth.  The kernel will
have issues mounting ramdisks that easily fit in the available memory.

It also seems that sometimes the data is there and sometimes its not.  Of
course when its not its gone forever.  The root filesysem is a ramdisk and I
have almost no problems with theis.  But is I create a /usr or something
else, make a file system, it may ore may not becomre mountable.  I've only
noticed this since I began using the large temp ramfs in my initrd.  I use
it to hold data before boot.

Don't ask why.  This is the way I create an envrionment that can not be
damaged.  Besides its static anyway and never changes.

Chris