[ale] RS600 Linux install

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Feb 18 21:41:00 EST 2002

Oooh! An install challenge!

>From the suse site:

 IBM RS/6000 / pSeries

For the following group of IBM machines (Supported by SuSE), SuSE had
the opportunity to test Linux on these machines and will provide
installation support. The second group (Use of SuSE Linux possible) is
known to work, but we don't know this for sure; thus, we cannot
guarantee anything and cannot help you with these machines. The last
group should be self explaining.

Note:

This page gives information about which machines SuSE supports with the
current release of SuSE Linux PPC. IBM uses the term "support" in a
different way. If you are interested which machines are supported by
IBM, please have a look at the following page:
http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/linux/projects/ppc/models.php

Supported by SuSE

    * RS/6000 43P Model 133
    * RS/6000 B50
    * RS/6000 150

Use of SuSE Linux possible

    * IBM ThinkPad 850 (Kernel 2.2.16 and newer)
    * RS/6000 F50
    * RS/6000 43P Model 140
    * RS/6000 43P Model 100/120

Status unknown or not supported

    * RS/6000 200, 220, 230, 250
    * RS/6000 H70, F80, S70, S80, SP (all with Power3 or RS64II)
    * RS/6000 F40, H50
    * all other RS/6000 not mentioned here.

Note that all IBM machines require kernel version 2.4 and later.
2.2.16 works on B50 and F50.

And a link to an IBM site that discusses putting linux on the rs/600
series:
http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/pseries/linux/

Roll that monster on in!! It's just a Mac on steroids!