[ale] RAID, IDE and/or Linux

Danny Cox danscox at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 18 08:09:15 EST 2002

On Sat, 2002-02-16 at 10:21, David Corbin wrote:
> I'm contemplating setting up a "big file server" to act as storage for
> all my "personal critical data".  This will include source control for
> home projects, digital pictures, ripped CDs, digitized audio, and
> perhaps even some video eventually - other stuff too, I'm sure..
>  Naturally, the server will run Linux. Because of the great volume of
> data that will not be replaceable, I'm contemplating a RAID solution.
>  This is for "backup and reliability", rather than for "speed".  I am
> not so silly to think that this server will survive the rest of my life
> as is, however it is my intent that this be a place to be data I wish to
> keep the rest of my life.   However, I don't want to spend "lots" of
> time administrating it, or doing maintenance every week.

	One thing I've not seen mentioned yet is using a journalling file
system.  This is just further hedging your bets.  A wrinkle we're using
here is using LVM to provide snapshots too.  A snapshot is simply a
filesystem that's frozen in time, and can be mounted seperatly from the
main (which keeps on chugging along), and a consistent backup
performed.  After that the snapshot can go away.

	We implemented that as (top to bottom) XFS -> LVM -> RAID {0,1,5} ->
IDE disks.

	Just FYI.

Danny