[ale] RAID, IDE and/or Linux

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Feb 16 11:39:36 EST 2002

Since you're not interested in speed, but in reliability, look at
software raid and a raid 1 mirroring arrangement. Writes will happen at
about the same the same speed as a normal write to a single hard drive,
but reads can happen a bit faster.

If one drive dies, you (root) get alerted. When the bad drive is
replaced, the software automatically mirrors the data onto the
replacement drive.

If this is to be a long-term archival of stuff to be never deleted, look
into setting the append only bit to the drive partition. That will add a
lock that prevents unintended deletions.

For "third drive" capability, make one of the mirror drives a pullout,
caddy-style and have two drives for the slot. Unmount the mirrored
partition, pull the drive and swap in the backup drive. Restarting the
mirroring software will bring the 3rd drive in sync with the first.

For off-site storage, you could look an rsync solution to keep a remote
drive in sync with the the raid system. This can be run from cron.