[ale] unknown programs [seemingly] auto running under RedHat6.1.......

Keith Hopkins hne at hopnet.net
Fri Feb 15 09:34:08 EST 2002

Courtney Thomas wrote:
> Greetings !
>
> Last night I noticed "slocate" and "mdrecoveryd" running. I didn't run
> them. What are they and how can I best determine who/what is causing this ?
>
> Appreciatively,
> Courtney

Hi Courtney,

mdrecoveryd is VERY important system process if you are using the md (multi-device) drivers, a.k.a. software-raid.  It is a system process that is spawned at boot time, and has a very high priority (usually -20).
slocate is a security enhanced version of locate.  It should run nightly, probably as part of a night cron job, but not all the time.  It is used to build the database used by the locate command.

Lost in Tokyo,
   Keith