[ale] OT: Using amanda to backup windows shares

Gene Matthews gene at mmc-inc.com
Thu Feb 14 12:06:49 EST 2002

This is sligthly off topic, but collectively at least, this list seems
to know everything!

I have amanda running on a solaris 8 box.  I have it up and running ok.
It is backing up several solaris and linux (ah, made it at least
slightly on topic!) boxes.  I'm trying to expand it to backup a couple
of windows boxes as well.  The doc indicates it can do this.  I'm doing
some experimenting now with it.  I am thinking you have to share the
windows directories you want to back up, which means turning on file
sharing.  I've always heard this was a fairly major security hole.

Any one out there using amanda to backup windows?  Is there a secure way
to share under windows?

Thanks,

Gene

--