[ale] bout me company

Russell Hogg russellh at x-soft.com
Thu Feb 14 11:29:32 EST 2002

Wow,
That was strong.

Thanks

: )

Russ

russellh at x-soft.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Hubbs [mailto:hbbs at attbi.com]
To: ale at ale.org
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2002 10:36 AM
To: Stephen Turner
Cc: ale at ale.org
Subject: Re: [ale] bout me company

Stephen -

You have an interesting opportunity here.  Your Win2K Manager (WinMan
for short) appears to have been conditioned to believe that OSses are
something you have to go to school to learn how to utilize.  The whole
of Windows World has been set up to encourage this sort of thinking.

Your WinMan might very well feel threatened by you and the things the
CFO said.  He would probably feel less threatened if he understood that
the kind of money-sucking "gatekeeper" system that has built itself up
around NT/2K/XP is not a core feature of the Linux world.  /Even if you
decide to teach yourself Win2K/, there's the issue of actually getting
access to a legal copy.  You can probably get time-limited or otherwise
crippled 2K versions with training books that are quite expensive, but
to actually legally set up a 2K instance will cost hundreds of dollars.
 Oh, yeah, and you can only do it on one machine at a time, so if you
want to legally set up a tabletop enterprise operation to learn on -
with more than one server and a couple of workstations - you'd better
have a lot of money to spend.

Working for the Government as I did at the time I began working with NT,
I could buy a few NT licenses without a whole lot of hassle.  But, in
the two private-industry places I've worked, spending a few hundred
dollars on /anything/, no matter how justifiable, was a big deal.
 Buying a handful of NT/2K licenses "to mess with" under those
circumstances would have been quite a hard sell.  With Linux,
"gatekeepers" are pretty much nonexistent.  It's a meritocracy; what
/you are able to figure out how to do/ is the overarching limiting
factor.  As I have become fond of saying, Linux rewards your time and
effort in pretty much direct proportion.

Your WinMan is going to regard you with a lot of turmoil and conflict.
 If he went to someplace like Gwinnett Tech and took a lot of courses
having to do with Win2K, he invested a whole lot of time, money, and
effort into being able to support this one company's one operating
system.  If he sees you flying around trying to do magical things with
Linux, he's got two conclusions he can make:  either your work and
knowledge is illegitimate because you didn't come by it by way of a
gatekeeper the way he did, or he was foolish to have put all his eggs in
Bill's basket.  If it were me, I would tell him that it was admirable
and valid to have gone through the gatekeeper system and that with the
perspective that the industry works hard to enforce - that you must go
through the gatekeeper - one could hardly find fault with taking such a
path as opposed to some alternative.  I mean, pick up a copy of /
Computer User/ sometime and just look at the pages of training ads.  How
could a person look at that and NOT feel like, well, this is what I must
do to work with operating systems (my excessive generalization here is
deliberate).

Once this guy realizes how low the barriers to entry are for Linux and
Open Source software, he might feel more encouraged.  Now, his
resistance is going to be greater if he has simply never worked with any
non-MS OS before because he won't have a broad enough context with which
to regard Linux.  I worked with VMS quite extensively for a number of
years before I first saw NT or Linux, so my initial regard for both
those OSses were shaped by my comfort with and understanding of VMS.  In
a lot of ways, I was seeing NT as an attempt to create something like a
VAX with a GUI running on Intel hardware.

Hey, man, burn the guy some distro CDs (he'll probably flinch at the
idea of actually accepting them from you; Bill trains his grasshoppers
well)!

- Jeff