[ale] slightly OT: network structure

jenn at colormaria.com jenn at colormaria.com
Wed Feb 13 20:16:53 EST 2002

The Nimda/code-red/worm stuff is what I'm most afraid of...
Said bozo won't have any physical access to the cabinet, at least, and he
will be subject to frequent scans by nmap and nessus to make sure he's not
got any nasty ports open. As far as I know, this box will be running web and
mail services, so we've got many potential victims right there...IIS,
ColdFusion scripts, Ipswitch Imail...yee haw.  And because of no physical
access...that means some sort of remote management through who-knows-what
sort of tool.

I have a single connection to the co-lo network (hence, the outside world),
and we don't have the budget to get anything more than that, so he has to
live behind my router somehow.

This is where I get confused however, being only somewhat knowledgable about
linux routing and not at all about using "real" managed switching appliances
and how they work.  I can and will block his IP on all of my DMZ boxen, but
that doesn't solve the potential bandwidth problem.  I know I can't do
anything to limit his bandwidth behind the linux router, because it plugs
into a cheap unmanaged switch that can't limit traffic on single port.  Can
a Cisco (or other brand) do this? Would that be enough to protect me?  What
about another NIC in the linux router devoted entirely to him? Would that
accomplish the same thing?  Is that even possible?

Sorry for the denseness. Network management continues to baffle me..the more
I learn about it, the less I know. :(

Thanks again,

jenn