[ale] https

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Feb 13 16:01:47 EST 2002

All this talk about security is a twofold issue.  When I talk about
security, I'm referring to the actual software.  That is, both ssl using
a self signed certificate and ssl using a verisign signed certificate
use the same code, hence they have the same security.

Now whether you get a warm and fuzzy feeling when you see the Verisign
has signed the cert. verses joe bob's certificate signing co. is really
an individual issue.  Grant it, if you're visiting a site you don't know
the folks, you probably want a cert. signed by one of the big boys.  If
you're putting up your own site for your customers/employees to access,
I'd say, save the cash, create your own cert.