[ale] https

Greg runman at telocity.com
Wed Feb 13 15:02:11 EST 2002

I think that the certificate businesses (Verisign and Thwate) do some
research into the certificate holder to make sure that it is a "real"
business and not some 3l33t hax0r.... but I came across someone's
investigation where they basically had their pet dog as the head of a
fictional company that got a certificate.... (hmmm could this work so that I
can I claim my 2 dogs and the SO's 2 cat's as dependents on taxes?.. JUST
KIDDING ! ).  I also think that it is supposed to be set up something like
the public/private key authentication mechanism and also with browsers and
their "OK'ing" stuff when the cert is from Verisign/Thwate.  However, let us
not forget that a black hat got 9 certificate #'s that belonged to our dear
friends from Redmond.  Of course when it made the news MS made a patch that
would fix IE to not trust the 9 numbers (and what else it did I don't know).

It depends on what degree of security you want and how much you are willing
to do/pay for.  My last job just used a self generated certificate, but we
were not dealing with any e-commerce.

Basically you are correct in your summation concerning the cert pimps and
"joe the web guy".

Greg the web guy (not to be confused w/ joe the web guy)