[ale] FUD - Re: [ale] Solaris apps on linux

John Mills jmmills at telocity.com
Tue Feb 12 09:39:50 EST 2002

Hi -

Not so long ago, there were 'hobby-use-only' license terms to download and
run Solaris on x86 hardware. I don't know how hardware-specific those
downloads are.

Of course this doesn't answer the question asked, since you wouldn't be
running Linux, but I wanted to mention the possibility. DISCLAIMER: I
never set up x86 Solaris.

Another nit: were you planning to run Solaris executables
for x86, or some other processor? Linux for x86, or some other processor?
If the apps weren't for the same processor, I would say the OS API is not
the issue.

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, keith frost wrote:

> long ago i had heard of people running the X86
> versions of other unix software on linux but could
> never find detailed information on it.  even if you do
> it will need to be hardware specific.

> --- John Wells <jbwellsiv at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Is there any libs/emus out there that allow you to
> > run
> > Solaris X apps under linux?

Regards -
 John Mills